Which is best water heater for your home – Tankless vs Tank
Whether you are buying a new home or renovating the existing home, you have to make multiple decisions in regards to things that you have to buy to make your home appealing. For example, flooring, room décor, etc., but an equally essential thing is the water heater.
According to HVAC experts, the water heater is considered the most crucial and long-term investment for homes across California.
When the time is to replace the current water heater, choosing the right one according to your needs demands some careful consideration.
people wonder which system is better: Are tankless water heaters better? In order to make an informed decision, let’s discuss both types of water heaters. You could then note down the tankless vs tank water heater pros and cons.
Tankless water heater
The tankless water heater is also known as an instantaneous or on-demand water heater that heats water when required. In this system, the water is heated at 2 to 5 gallons every minute with the help of one of three fuel sources that are propane, natural gas, and electricity.
Tankless water heaters are more efficient than regular water heaters as there is no standby heat loss.
How does a tankless water heater work?
Tankless water heaters have high-powered burners that heat the water easily and quickly. When you turn on the water heater, the water runs via a heat exchanger and comes directly to the home faucets or appliances. In short, it heats the water on-demand compared to a storage water heater.
Regular water heater or storage water heater
Storage tank water heaters are one of the most famous water heaters, which are found in almost 90% of homes in the USA. However, one of the main differences between the two is the presence of a water tank. This water heater needs space in your home as they hold around 40 to 120 gallons of water. It is available in two variants that is gas and electric.
When you have to take a shower on a chilly morning, you have to preheat the water, and then when you use hot water, it will be refilled once again and ready to heat the water.
How does the tank water heater work?
A tank or storage water heater heats the water inside the tank. The water heater tank is fully insulated so that the water will remain hot for a longer period of time. However, if you want hot water, you have to turn on the heater for a few minutes and then use the hot water by turning on the taps.
Moreover, when you turn off the tap of hot water, cold water goes inside the tank from the bottom.
Tankless vs. tank water heater pros and cons
Disadvantages of Tank water heater
- Consumes a lot of home space
- You cannot get the hot water when you need it without any wait.
- The life expectancy of a storage-tank water heater is very less compared to a tankless water heater.
Advantages of Tank Water Heater
- Tankless water heaters are very small and can easily be installed in tight spaces.
- You don’t have to wait for the hot water as it delivers 2-3 gallons of hot water every minute.
- Helps in saving money in the long run as it uses less energy as compared to a storage water heater.
- The life expectancy is around 20 years.
Cons of tankless water heater
- The cost of purchasing a tankless water heater is quite high than a regular water heater.
- If your home tankless water heater runs off electricity, you will not get hot water in case of a power cut.
- The overall flow rate of the tankless water heater is low.
- You cannot multitask having a tankless water heater as it does not store water and can give hot water only in one faucet at a time.
- The installation of a tankless water heater is costly if you are planning to replace a storage-tank water heater with a tankless one.
- A tankless water heater needs regular professional inspection.
Tank water heater pros
- The maintenance and repair cost of storage tank water heaters is low compared to tankless water heaters. That means it needs regular cases with draining and flushing every six months.
- The installation is quite easy and quick.
- It can be installed at a lower price, but the tankless water heater price is high.
- Tank water heaters offer fewer installation and repair complications means the issues will be less.
Cons of tank water heater
- This water heater heats water at a set temperature whether you need water or not, which increases the energy bill.
- Comes with a shorter life span of around 10 to 15 years.
- The storage tank water heater takes up a lot of space in the home. So, if your home is small, tank water is not at all best for you.
- You have to replace the tank water heater often compared to the tankless water heater.
Tips for water heater maintenance in regards to tankless vs. tank water heaters
- Water heater these days is one of the important electrical appliances that offers many benefits to the homeowners. So, if you want your water heater to be tankless or the tank to remain in good condition, take care of the below tips: –
- Ensure not to keep your unit on for a longer period of time.
- Set the temperature of the water heater as it will help you to save energy.
- For tank water heaters, make sure to check the anode rod before winter, and for tankless water heaters, inspect the burners.
- Check the pressure relief valve from time to time as it plays an essential role in the working of the water heater.
- Make sure you replace inlet and outlet pipes with metal ones.
- Lastly, hire a water heater professional for its regular annual inspection so that it will work for a longer period of time.
Which water heater is best for your home? Is a tankless water heater a better choice?
In the above post, you have read all about the tank water heater and the tankless water heater. Now, if your pocket can manage the initial cost of a tankless water heater, it is the best for all your needs. But if installing a tankless water heater will make a hole in your pocket, then installing a storage water heater is best for you.
Apart from that, always buy a water heater after looking at your home requirements. That means how many members you have in your family, the size of the home or faucets in your home, etc. However, with regards to this, you can take help from tankless water heater installation professionals as they have experience and qualifications in this field and will help you to make the right decision.
That means relying on EZ Plumbing USA, one of the reputed companies that offer water heater repair and maintenance at an affordable price. Their goal is to offer premium services so that you will be happy with the choice you have made. No matter what type of water heater you are looking for, EZ Plumbing USA is one of the best choices.